Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pro-Union Protest


The one year anniversary of Walker + fellow state republicans signing the bill that effectively disinherited the union of their control for efforts concerning the deficit. I received a text this morning that read 'WeAreWI: It's a beautiful day for the rally - hope to see you at the WI Capitol Square at 1:00!' with a link. I had already heard of the protest in last night's class from my ex-journalist professor who said she'd be down there photojournaling. I went down to get some practice shooting in crowds, as otherwise I'd be off somewhere doing homework. I tried remaining neutral; that's what you're supposed to do when you're a journalist. . . . I guess it takes practice.

Some signs were clever. 



Some signs were artistic. 

Some were cute. 


And then some were less than subtle. 



Madison protests are always family friendly. Don't believe what you hear on conservative media sources.









The only police I witnessed. Standing casually by.  
This is when the crowd picked up; around 2pm
When I got there the protests had just begun, which allowed space for most of these photographs. But it picked up so the street was packed by the time I left, reminiscent of last year's 100,000.







Disclaimer: I'm an independent, despite what I feel about this particular issue. But I feel strongly about being represented wrongly. There are no palm trees in Wisconsin, and there is no hostility on Capitol Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment